Saturday, March 6, 2010

It's not about good or bad, its about right or wrong...

In preparing my post for Saturday, about my experience working with Gui, I felt I was missing an important segway between why I wouldn't work with a trainer and how I ended up working with a trainer. I need to share a lesson I learned as a consultant for the last 7 years which I think is as important (if not more) when picking a trainer, than it is when my clients are hiring me.

To be successful at finding a trainer, the reality  you have to go into the process with is that not every trainer is going to fit for everyone. You can have the best trainer in the world skills wise, they can be famous and work with the stars, but if you don't click with them personality wise then it will never work.

I have multiple friends who have met with a trainer and didn't mesh, but instead of realizing this is about a relationship, they gave up on having a trainer. As Mary Kay points out to me just about every time we talk about trainers, this is a very personal relationship you are embarking on. If you spend any time working with the same trainer they are going to know more about you than some of your closest friends or your family, especially about your insecurities and your feelings on your body and your life. If you don't have a level of comfort with the person you are working with you will never see the benefits of the training.

Needing to change trainers or trying a couple before picking one does not make you a bad client, it doesn't make them a bad trainer.

I consider myself very lucky in that I found a trainer on the first try who fit well for me, but I know it could have just as easily gone the other way...

No comments:

Post a Comment