Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's my story and I am sticking to it!

Welcome to the greatest adventure of my life, my journey from 338 pounds to a healthier and happier way of life. I started this journey as a very private trip. I was embarrassed where I was starting, I was scared of where I was going and I wanted to take this trip quietly and without fanfare. But through my friends, my facebook supporters, my trainer and others who started down this road with me or who have joined along the way, I have come to realize that changing your life is team event and that the road is easier to travel if you let others walk along.

I have no great secrets to share, I am by no means a role model or have all the answers. I can't say that my journey is the right path for others, but I have chosen to share my story and hope those of you who come along for the ride will share yours too.

Welcome to the ups and downs, the twists and turns and the roller coaster of regaining life one step and one pound at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Shalom Pam.
    Well, you have me beat by 30 pounds from my starting position, but you are on a different path than I chose, but we all still, as "normal" as we ever get, remain, at least to ourselves, that large person in the mirror. I don't thing that that is necessarily a bad image cause it serves to remind us where we were and where we have no desire to return.
    Sure, your personality will change, there is no doubt about that-you'll become happier with a life that you are saving. Oh, you'll still be Pam, but you will start to notoce different things. The way people stare at you when you are in a restaurant or a market, the comments that are outside of earshot but still hurt, and the feeling of low self-esteem, can and do cripple one's outlook on life. there is no obese person on this planet, who is ever "jolly."
    What you are doing takes great courage and enormous perseverance, the hardest part isn't losing the weight, it is keeping it from creeping back-that is the test. Losing the weight, as trite as this seems, is the easy part. It's like unpacking your entire closet only to discover that you aren't moving after all. You just want to say the hell with it and kick all the clothes back inside without hanging them up.
    There always will be challenges-with friends, socializing, holidays(and oy, do we have holidays!) and the myriad temptations of just walking by a bakery or a restaurant. But, when you realize what getting to your goal was such hard work, to change an entire laifestyle, you will find the courage to keep walking.
    You can always call me or write me when you get an urge and I'll gladly let you hear me chomping on a carrot!
    Shabbat Shalom,
    Chag Purim same'ach,
    The Straight Male nurse

    ReplyDelete